Circles of tortilla replace the pastry in these easy to make mini quiches flavoured with cajun spices, red pepper, red onion and sweetcorn
I’m very excited to tell you all about a new collaboration I’ve just started working on. A few weeks ago I was approached by Oven Pride and asked to make some recipe videos to share across their social media based around days in my Food Calendar. I’d not actually tried Oven Pride when they approached me and I never work with companies whose products I haven’t tried and wouldn’t recommend, so my first step was to head out to the supermarket and stock up on cleaning products (my oven was seriously in need of a good clean to the point where I’d been considering hiring one of those external cleaning companies so the timing was perfect).
I was really impressed with the results, particularly for the racks which I’ve never been able to get sparkling before. You pop them into special bags, shake them about a bit and then leave the Oven Pride to do its work. A little extra trick I was told by the lady at the checkout in my local Tesco was to rinse off the cleaner and then pop them into the dishwasher, just to help shift any last little bits that the cleaner didn’t touch – it worked a treat.
You’ll have to take my word for the poor state of my oven as I couldn’t bring myself to photograph it and admit to you all what it looked like, but if you take a little look at the video I made a bit further down you can see that it’s now gleaming 🙂
Anyway, onto these little mini quiches. My challenge from Oven Pride was to create an afternoon tea recipe with a twist for Afternoon Tea Week this week (8th-14th August). After a bit of playing around in the kitchen I came up with these cajun tortilla mini quiches. The great thing about them is that they use circles of flour tortillas instead of pastry, so if you’re not a particular fan of pastry-making then this is much simpler.
The quiches are flavoured with cajun spices and filled with sweetcorn, red pepper and red onion. The heat all comes from the spice mix so it’s quite subtle, if you wanted them to have a bit more of a kick then add some finely chopped chillis or jalapeños into the mixture as well.
So without further ado, here’s the video…
Cajun Tortilla Mini Quiches
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 24 mini quiches
- 4 egg yolks
- 120ml creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp cajun spice mix (I used Schwartz)
- 4 flour tortillas
- ½ red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 4 heaped tbsp sweetcorn
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Finely chop the red onion (½ onion) and red pepper (1 pepper) and mix it together with the sweetcorn (4 heaped tbsp).
- In a separate bowl mix together the 4 egg yolks, creme fraiche (120ml) and cajun spice mix (1 tbsp).
- Using a round cutter (I used one with 7cm diameter) cut 24 circles from the tortillas.
- Put the tortilla circles into each hole of a tart tin.
- Add a tsp of the vegetable mix into each hole. Use your fingers to push the tortilla down into the tin – it’s much easier to do this once you’ve added the filling as the weight of the veg helps to keep it in place. If you try and push it in before adding any filling you’ll find that it pops back up again.
- Add 1-2 tsp of the egg mixture into each quiche.
- Put the quiches into the oven for 13 minutes (until the egg mixture has just set).
- Remove the quiches from the oven and move them onto a wire rack to cool.
These are best eaten fresh as the filling does make the tortilla case a little soft if they’re stored (although they still taste really good 🙂 ).
Calories: 46 kcal (2%), Fat: 2.7g (4%), Saturated Fat: 1.4g (7%), Carbohydrates: 3.8g (1%), Sugar: 0.8g (1%), Fibre: 0.3g (1%), Protein: 1.2g (2%), Salt: 0.1g (2%)
This is the estimated nutritional information per mini quiche. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you want to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
- Suitable for Vegetarians
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.