Kick start your morning with this delicious Coffee, Oat & Banana Smoothie – with coffee to wake you up and oats to keep your hunger away. You can enjoy it hot or really cold too, so it’s perfect all year round.
A couple of weeks ago I popped into my local Costa and I saw them advertising a coffee, oat & banana smoothie and I thought it sounded yummy, something I know I would enjoy. The sensible food blogger in me, always curious about how new things look and taste, should have bought one to try. However, it was quite early in the morning and freezing cold so I bought a coffee instead. The next morning I decided to give it a try for my breakfast and I can confirm that (my version of) it tastes delicious. Having not actually tried the Costa version I can’t confirm how like their’s it is, but who cares if it tastes good.
I like my breakfast smoothies to be a medium sort of temperature – warm enough so that they can be drunk in a hurry without chilling my insides, but not hot. However, I know that there are some of you out there who like super cold smoothies so I’ve shared how to adapt it for that. As other like theirs hot, I’ve shared how to do that too (it’s great if you need warming up, like a delicious, drinkable porridge).
For this recipe I’ve used regular cows milk but it can easily be switched for dairy-free (& therefore vegan) alternatives such as soy or almond milk.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Gluten-Free (double check your oats as whilst they are naturally gluten-free, gluten is often introduced in the manufacturing process)
- Tree Nut-Free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free
To make this dairy-free switch the milk for oat milk.
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
Coffee, Oat & Banana Smoothie
- 1 banana - can use fresh or frozen
- 200 ml milk - I use skimmed but any is fine
- 1 heaped tbsp oats
- 1 shot of espresso - or 1 tsp coffee granules mixed with about 40ml of boiling water – if you really need waking up then use a double espresso.
- Pop all of the ingredients into a powerful blender and blitz until smooth.
Make it extra cold
- Once you’ve blitzed together the ingredients, add a handful of ice cubes and blitz again.
Make it hot
- Add an extra 100ml of milk and pop into the microwave on high for 1 minute. Give it a stir and return to the microwave for a further 30 seconds.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.