These vanilla cupcakes are so easy to make, simply mix all of the ingredients together and bake. They’re perfect for birthdays, cake sales, tea with your friends and any other celebration you can think of.
I mentioned when I shared my recipe for caramel cupcakes a couple of weeks ago that I’m working on creating a mix-and-match cupcake index with all my sponges, buttercreams and fillings in one place so you can create your own cupcakes using any combination you can think of. However, when I made a start on it I realised that two of my go-to cupcakes recipes (vanilla and chocolate) didn’t exist on here in cupcake form (they’re only on here as larger birthday cake recipes). Whilst it’s really easy to convert these particular recipes from large cakes, to save you the trouble of working out what to adjust I decided that I’d publish them as cupcakes too.
One of the reasons I started this website is that I’ve got a terrible memory for recipes and I wanted somewhere to write them down so I could make them again and again. Whilst I remake my own recipes all the time (this one in particular gets made a lot), it’s not often that other people make my recipes for me to eat. I think it only happened for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was a slightly nervous moment for me (because I always worry that someone reading a recipe won’t interpret it how I’d intended), but I have to say that I think they cooked them better than I do 🙂
Have you ever cooked someone else’s recipe for them to eat, or vice versa? How did it go?
Easy Vanilla Cupcakes
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 165g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3 medium eggs
- 165g soft margarine
- 165g caster sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp milk
- 12 cupcake cases
If you’d like to top them with vanilla buttercream you can find the recipe here.
- Pre-heat your oven to 160ºC/140ºC fan.
- Place your cupcake cases into a muffin tin.
- Sift the self-raising flour (165g) and baking powder (1½ tsp) into a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients (3 medium eggs, 165g soft margarine, 165g caster sugar, a few drops of vanilla extract and 1½ tsp milk) and mix until fully combined (either by hand or using an electric mixer on a low speed).
- Divide the mixture equally between the muffin cases (I use a cupcake scoop to help split it evenly).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool in their tins for about 10 minutes and then move them to a wire rack to cool fully before decorating.
Calories: 207 kcal (10%), Fat: 11.1g (16%), Saturated Fat: 2.9g (15%), Carbohydrates: 23.7g (9%), Sugar: 14.2g (16%), Fibre: 0.4g (2%), Protein: 3.0g (6%), Salt: 0.5g (8%)
This is the estimated nutritional information per cake. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you want to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
- Suitable for Vegetarians
I’m sharing this recipe with the following blog challenge… #CookBlogShare with Easy Peasy Foodie.