Easy to make caramel cupcakes which get their caramel flavour from using both light brown sugar and adding caramel sauce to the mix.
Perfect topped with caramel buttercream.
A few days ago I shared my recipe for caramel buttercream (which you seemed to love 🙂 ), and what better to go with caramel buttercream than a delicious caramel cupcake.
As with all of my basic cupcake recipes I’ve tried to keep them as easy to make as it humanly possible (stick it in a bowl and mix it up – it really is as simple as that) and also to make sure that the caramel flavour really comes through. I should actually call them double caramel cupcakes as I’ve sneaked the flavour in twice, once by using light brown sugar rather than caster sugar (which seems to be the popular way of making caramel cupcakes from what I’ve seen) and then really pushing the caramel favour by mixing lots of caramel sauce into the mix too.
I designed these to go with the caramel buttercream, but they’d actually go brilliantly with other flavours such as chocolate or vanilla too. The reason I like to post my cupcakes as the cake and buttercream separately is that it makes it easy to find the bits to be able to mix and match between the two to create whatever combination you want. I’m in the process of putting together a mix and match cupcake index to keep all the recipes together in one place (as well as some yummy fillings too) so keep an eye out for it over the next few weeks.
- 165 g self-raising flour
- 165 g soft light brown sugar - you could use dark brown sugar or light muscovado sugar if that’s what you happen to have in your cupboard.
- 3 large eggs
- 165 g soft margarine or butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g caramel sauce - 1 batch of my homemade caramel sauce
- 12 cupcake cases
- Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan.
- Place your cupcakes cases into a muffin tin.
- Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl (165g self-raising flour, 165g soft margarine, 3 large eggs, 165g soft light brown sugar, ¼ tsp vanilla extract, 150g caramel sauce) and mix until fully combined (you can do this by hand or using an electric mixer on a low speed).
- Evenly distribute the cake mixture into the 12 cupcake cases.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once cooked, place onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Tree Nut-Free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free