Mince Pie Cupcakes – Almond cupcakes with a festive mincemeat centre and topped with brandy buttercream.
Christmas seems to be coming up very fast now (far too fast, I’ve still got so many Christmas recipe ideas and no time to share them all!). I’m pleased to say that I’ve finally finished my Christmas shopping which is a huge relief. Thank goodness for next-day delivery otherwise I’d have a few empty-handed relatives on Christmas morning.
Wrapping is next up for me, but I wanted to share these festive cupcakes with you first before I get out the paper and scissors along with a glass of something festive and a Christmas film (it’s possible that I’m using writing this up as an excuse to put off the wrapping as it’s not my favourite job 🙂 ).
Christmas seems to have rushed up so quickly that I haven’t actually manage to bake any mince pies yet (although I have managed mince pie truffles if that counts). Today’s recipe is another ‘nearly-a-mince-pie’, for anyone that fancies a twist. It’s an almond sponge, filled with mincemeat and then topped with brandy buttercream. I’ve also added a few festive sprinkles to finish them off. I really wanted the holly and berries sprinkles but I couldn’t seem to find any anywhere locally 🙁 .
Mince Pie Cupcakes with Brandy Buttercream
For the cupcakes
- 100 g soft butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 25 g ground almonds
- 120 g mincemeat
For the brandy buttercream
- 75 g soft butter
- 75 g icing sugar
- 35 ml brandy
- Festive sprinkles – optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan.
- Beat together the butter (100g) and caster sugar (100g) until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs (2 eggs) one at a time, beat after adding each egg until full combined.
- Add the almond extract (1 tsp).
- Sift in the self-raising flour (100g) and ground almonds (25g) and mix until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between 6 cupcake cases.
- Use the back of a teaspoon to make a dip in the centre of each cupcake.
- Add a generous teaspoon of mincemeat into the centre of each cupcake (120g in total).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top of the cupcakes is golden (sadly the skewer test doesn’t work on these due to the mincemeat centre).
- Place onto a cooling rack to cool while you make the buttercream.
- Make the buttercream by beating 75g butter until soft. Add the icing sugar (75g) a spoon at a time (as this helps to prevent sugar flying everywhere) and beat until fully combined.
- If you’ve been using a mixer you want to switch to doing the next bit by hand. Add the brandy (35ml) very gradually to the butter/icing sugar mix. Beat in each addition until fully combined before adding more.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe into the cupcakes.
- Top with a few festive sprinkles.
Free From/Suitable For
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Peanut-Free (Contains Almonds. Some mincemeat recipes may contain other nuts)