Crunchy oats with almonds and honey, topped with fresh banana and chocolate cream cheese frosting with a hint of vanilla.
I should probably start with an apology to die hard cheesecake fans as I’ve been a bit generous with my “cheesecake” description. However, it’s got a crunchy base (made from oats, nuts and honey rather than biscuits) and it’s topped with cream cheese so I thought the cheesecake name was fitting.
If you’re a regular reader of my blog you’ll know that I’ve been trying to increase the range of healthy breakfasts we eat in my house with delicious breakfast smoothies, muffins and overnight oats. This breakfast is a little bit naughtier (although only a little bit) so perhaps it’s one to save for the weekends.
There was a bit of discussion in my house about whether this was really suitable for breakfast. Jon was a little unconvinced that breakfast should come with a chocolate, cream cheese topping. However I think it’s perfect and here’s why…
- Almond Butter
- Dark Chocolate
- Cream Cheese
The first four (which make up large part of this breakfast) are without doubt healthy breakfast items. Chocolate as well features in many popular breakfast items, although perhaps a little less healthy (I’m thinking pain au chocolat and of course coco pops!). Which only leaves the cream cheese as something that’s a little less breakfasty (I’m not counting the vanilla as it’s only a couple of drops). I think if 5 out of 6 ingredients are typical breakfast ingredients then it’s definitely suitable.
That said, it’s slightly indulgent nature means it also make a nice dessert too.
If you’re unconvinced that cream cheese should feature in breakfast then greek yogurt works brilliantly as a replacement.
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
Chocolate, Banana & Almond Breakfast Cheesecake
- 2 heaped tbsp oats
- 1 tsp almond butter - or peanut butter if you don't have any
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 banana
- 1 heaped tbsp cream cheese - I use the reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 tsp dark chocolate chips
- a couple of drops of vanilla extract
- Place the almond butter (1 tsp) and honey (1 tsp) and oats (2 heaped tbsp) into your serving dish and mix to combine.
- Slice the banana and layer it on top of the oats.
- Place the dark chocolate chips into a microwave proof dish and heat on full power for approximately 30 seconds until melted (I usually check them after 20 seconds and then give them another 10 seconds if necessary). Don't worry if there's a couple of small unmelted bits, these add a nice texture.
- Add the cream cheese (1 heaped tbsp) and vanilla extract (a couple of drops) to the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Top the banana with the chocolate/cream cheese mix and serve.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Gluten-Free – ensure your oats are gluten-free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free