Delicious soft centred Lemon Amaretti Biscuits. So easy to make, crisp on the outside, chewy in the middle and packed with lemon flavour. They’re naturally gluten-free too.
There are some recipes that wouldn’t be on here if it weren’t for all of you out there and this recipe for Lemon Amaretti Biscuits is one of those.
Until a couple of weeks ago it hadn’t occurred to me to try this particular flavour combination. I received a comment on my (well actually Jon’s) original Amaretti Biscuits recipe saying they had seen my dark chocolate version and asked if I’d ever experimented with a lemon flavour. It immediately struck me what a great idea it was and so since then I’ve been testing things out in the kitchen, and here they are!
Just like the original biscuits, they’re crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, but these ones are jam packed with lemon flavour from lemon zest and either limoncello liqueur or lemon juice.
If you’ve not tried making Amaretti Biscuits before then there is a quick video over on my YouTube channel which will show the basic principle of how to make them (it’s my original biscuits, not these lemon ones, but you should get the gist).
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
Lemon Amaretti BiscuitsPrint Rate Save Saved!
- 2 large egg whites
- 200 g ground almonds
- 150 g caster sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp limoncello liqueur or lemon juice
- 3 tbsp icing sugar - for rolling the biscuits in prior to baking
- 3 tbsp caster sugar - for rolling the biscuits in prior to baking
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/150ºC fan.
- Line your baking sheet with baking parchment or a reusable non-stick baking liner.
- Finely grate the zest of two lemons. Put the lemon zest, ground almonds (200g), caster sugar (150g) into a large bowl.
- In a different bowl, beat your eggs whites (2 large) on a medium speed until they form a firm peak. Once firm, add the egg whites to the other ingredients and fold in the egg whites. Once combined add the limoncello/lemon juice (1 tbsp) and stir until you have a smooth paste.
- Put the icing sugar (3 tbsp) and caster sugar (3 tbsp) onto separate plates. Split the mixture into 16 balls (about 2-3cm in diameter). Roll each ball in the caster sugar and then the icing sugar and place onto the baking sheet. Allow about 3cm between each ball as they will spread a little in the oven.
- Cook for 15-17 minutes until you can see they're just starting to brown underneath the icing sugar.
- Take them out of the oven, leave to cool for a couple of minutes on the tray and then place onto a cooling rack.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Peanut-Free (contains almonds)