These peanut chicken noodles are perfect for a quick meal, ready in just 15 minutes and they taste simply delicious.
These peanut chicken noodles have become a bit of a go-to meal in our house over the last few weeks. Aside from being really yummy, they also have the advantage of being quick to make so perfect if you’re short of time, and they’re also extremely versatile. It’s the perfect meal for using up what you happen to have in the fridge, freezer or cupboard.
Each time I’ve made it I’ve kept the sauce the same but varied pretty much everything else… skipping the noodles or switching them for veggie ones made with carrots, courgette or the stalk of the broccoli, taking out the chicken to make it vegetarian, chopping up whatever vegetables I happen to have in the fridge or even chucking in some frozen peppers, onions, carrots and sweetcorn.
The version I’ve shared the recipe for below is my favourite combination of vegetables but feel free to tweak it as you like.
The sauce is made with a combination of crunchy peanut butter, soy sauce (or tamari) and a little Shoaxing rice wine. The rice wine is a slightly unusual ingredient, as I have a lot of stir-frys it’s something I use quite a bit so worth getting. If you’re not such a stir-fry eater then you could switch it for dry sherry or leave it out if you don’t happen to have any of that either. The sauce won’t be quite the same but it’ll still taste yummy.
Peanut Chicken Noodles
- 125 g dried medium egg noodles - I prefer to use the dried noodles but you can also use the ready-cooked ones if you prefer
- 2 tsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- A handful of baby corn
- A handful of mangetout
- A handful of broccoli florets
- A few spring onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1" cube fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp Shoaxing rice wine
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Chop the two chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Prepare the vegetables - Peel and chop the carrots into matchsticks, peel and finely chop the garlic (2 cloves) and ginger (1" cube) and thinly slice the spring onions (keep the green ends to use as a garnish before serving).
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a wok and once hot add the chicken. Cook for 1-2 minutes until just browned on the outside. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds before adding the vegetables, peanut butter (1 tbsp), soy sauce (1 tbsp) and Shoaxing rice wine (1 tsp). Mix to coat the vegetables in the sauce and then add the cooked noodles.
- Fry for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender but still have some bite to them. Make sure you stir/toss everything regularly to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Serve sprinkled with the green bits of the spring onions and the peanuts (2 tbsp).
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
- Make it corn-free by leaving out the sweetcorn
- Make it vegetarian by leaving out the chicken
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.