A deliciously different sausage recipe – Pork sausages and mushrooms cooked in wholegrain mustard, creme fraiche and cider. Perfect served with creamy mashed potatoes and lots of peas.
It’s British Sausage Week so I thought I’d share with you one of my favourite sausage recipes… Sausage and mushrooms in mustard and cider. It’s simple to make and it tastes delicious served with creamy mashed potato and peas (although I often eat it just by itself which is yummy too).
This dish is suitable for freezing so you can cook it in advance and then it’s there ready for a quick mid-week dinner.
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
Sausage and mushrooms in mustard and cider
- 400 g good quality pork sausages - or sausage meat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400 ml medium dry cider
- 175 ml half-fat creme fraiche
- 200 g mushrooms
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the sausages from their skins and form each sausage into four balls.
- Slice the onions (2 onions), roughly chop the mushrooms (200g) and finely chop the garlic (2 cloves).
- Heat the olive oil (1 tbsp) in a large saucepan, add the sausages and cook until they are browned on the outside.
- Once the sausages have browned, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan, reduce to a low heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cider (400ml) and bring to the boil. Return the sausages to the pan, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the creme fraiche (175ml) and mustard (2 tbsp) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If you're cooking this dish to chill/freeze and reheat later, remove from the heat now. Otherwise, continue to cook for roughly 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.