Stir Fry Sesame Broccoli, a quick, easy, delicious and nutritious asian inspired side dish.
I think I may have already mentioned (more than a few times) the fact that we’re trying to be a bit healthy for the new year over in my household. I’m pretty proud of the fact that we’ve still got a few boxes of Christmas chocolates unopened in the cupboard ready for when we need a little treat (which we do every now and again and they taste all the yummier for waiting!). Normally they would have been gobbled up before the New Year.
As part of our healthy efforts I’ve been adding more and more veggie side dishes to our dinners. It means we still get to eat lots but it is all healthy stuff. But lets face it, veg is OK but it’s a bit boring isn’t it? If I find food boring then it’s pretty much guaranteed that I’ll head off to the kitchen in search of something a bit more interesting. So I’ve been trying to add a bit more flavour to our vegetables to make us want to eat more of them rather than stocking up on the meat and pasta (or secret Christmas chocolate stash!). This stir fry sesame broccoli is one of our current favourites. I adore sesame – sweet food, savoury food, it goes with everything. I made a batch using a whole broccoli when it was just me at home so I could take these photographs and ate the lot (and nothing else) for my lunch.
Stir Fry Sesame Broccoli
Active Time:7 minutes
Total Time:7 minutes
- 1 head of broccoli (about 350g including stalks)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Prepare the broccoli by chopping it into small florets. Discard the stalks (you can always use them to make soup).
- Heat the vegetable oil (2 tsp) in a wok.
- Once the oil is sizzling hot add the broccoli and fry for about 3 minutes, keep it moving to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Add the sesame seeds (1 tbsp) and fry for another minute.
- Turn off the heat, add the toasted sesame oil (2 tsp) and toss the broccoli in the oil until it is coated.
Calories: 92 kcal (5%), Fat: 7.7g (11%), Saturated Fat: 3.2g (16%), Carbohydrates: 1.5g (1%), Sugar: 1.0g (1%), Fibre: 2.0g (8%), Protein: 3.4g (7%), Salt: 0.1g (1%)
1 of your 5-a-day fruit and vegetables
This is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you want to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
- Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.