Delicious garlic roasted potatoes in a rich tomato sauce flavoured with smoked paprika.
One thing I’ve been spotting around quite a bit at the moment is Patatas Bravas. It’s one of those recipes where everyone’s version seems to be quite different, some potatoes are boiled, some roasted, some add chilli, some don’t, some include peppers, others have chorizo, I could go on…
I thought I’d throw my hat into the ring and share my version too.
My version of Patatas Bravas uses garlic roasted potatoes, which I’ve kept quite chunky, and the tomato sauce is flavoured with red onion, plenty of smoked paprika (one of my absolute favourite flavours) and a little red wine vinegar to offset the sweetness. I make this quite a bit and I think it’s a great way of making a simple, healthy dinner of grilled chicken and veggies a bit more exciting.
Mix things up a bit…
If you fancy you could also try a few twists to this recipe…
- Add some extra sweetness with some roughly chopped red pepper in the tray with your roast potatoes.
- Add some heat with a chopped red chilli cooked with the red onion, or sprinkle in some chilli powder or cayenne pepper with the smoked paprika.
- Get an even deeper smoked paprika flavour by adding some chopped chorizo along with the red onion.
Smokey Tomato Roast Potatoes (Roast Patatas Bravas)
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1kg potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- A few cloves of garlic
- 2x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato pureé
- 1 red onion
- 1 heaped tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan.
- Chop the potatoes (1kg) into bite-sized pieces. Place them into a large baking tray and drizzle them with half the olive oil (1 tbsp). Bash the garlic cloves either in a pestle and mortar or with a rolling pin and add them to the tray. Roast the potatoes for 30 minutes, turning them halfway though their cooking time.
- While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the smokey tomato sauce. Finely chop the red onion. Heat the remaining oil (1 tbsp) in a medium-sized saucepan, turn the heat to low and and add the chopped onion. Fry for 4-5 minutes until it has softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes (2x 400g cans), tomato pureé (1 heaped tbsp), smoked paprika (1 tbsp) & red wine vinegar (1 tsp). Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened and then remove from the heat. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Once the potatoes have cooked for 30 minutes remove them from the oven and add them to the pan with the potatoes (don’t add the garlic cloves). Mix well so the potatoes are coated in the sauce then serve.
Calories: 218 kcal (11%), Fat: 5.6g (8%), Saturated Fat: 1.0g (5%), Carbohydrates: 35.0g (13%), Sugar: 6.3g (7%), Fibre: 3.8g (16%), Protein: 5.3g (11%), Salt: 0.0g (1%)
1½ portions of fruit and vegetables.
This is the estimated nutritional information per serving (assumes the recipe serves 6. Excludes any salt added during the cooking process). Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you want to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
- Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.