Delicious potato skins filled with creamy mashed potato and topped with crispy SPAM® pieces and melted mozzarella cheese.
This year SPAM® turns 80 and what better time to join the celebrations than SPAM® Appreciation Week, which it just so happens is next week (6th-12th March 2017).
To help you join in the celebrations, SPAM® invited me to share with you one of their recipes – SPAM® Potato Skins, which I’ve eaten several times since being sent the recipe last week and they’re really very moreish. I think the secret is to cut up the SPAM® pieces so they’re quite small, they get a lovely crispness on the outside when fried whilst staying soft in the middle, and they go really well with the sour cream and potato-filling in these potato skins.
In addition to sharing this yummy recipe, I’ve got 5 SPAM® Bundles to be won a bit further down the page. If that wasn’t enough for you, I’ve also got details of the SPAM® Can Tour and how you can win a VIP trip to the Liverpool event.
The SPAM® Can Tour
SPAM® are returning with their popular SPAM® Can Tour for the second time. They’ll be touring the country in a specially designed airstream trailer serving up free SPAM® samples, sharing recipe ideas and there’ll also be opportunities to get your hands on some limited edition SPAM® merchandise. The tour runs from May to August starting in Liverpool and finishing in Cardiff.
The full 2017 tour dates are…
- LIVERPOOL Paradise Place – 6th-8th May
- GLASGOW Buchanan Street – 3rd-4th June
- LEEDS City Centre – 8th-9th July
- SUNDERLAND Airshow – 21st-23 July
- BLACKPOOL Airshow – 12th-13th August
- CARDIFF St David’s Centre – 26-27th August
There’s a chance for you to win a VIP trip to the Liverpool tour where you’ll be a special guest at the first stop. The competition opens over on the SPAM® website from Monday 6th March, so don’t forget to head over there on Monday to enter.
Win 1 of 5 SPAM® bundles with an apron, spatula and SPAM® slicer.
SPAM® can be sliced, diced, chopped, grilled and fried to make a wide range of quick and easy meals and snacks. To enter all you need to do is take a look at the wide range of recipes over on the SPAM® website, and then come back here and leave a comment on this post telling me which you’d most like to try during SPAM® Appreciation Week.
Once you’ve commented, log into the Rafflecopter widget below using your email address or Facebook and click on the box to say “I commented”. It’s really important that you do the Rafflecopter bit otherwise your entry won’t count.
Once you’re logged into Rafflecopter you’ll find lots of bonus entry options. None of these are mandatory so you can just do the comment bit if you like, but the more you do the more chance you have of winning.
Good luck everyone x
Terms & Conditions
- Closes at midnight (GMT) on Sunday 19th March 2017.
- Aged 18+.
- UK residents only.
- The prizes will be supplied directly by SPAM®.
- The winners will be notified by email within 48 hours of the closing date. They will have 28 days to claim their prize otherwise an alternative winner will be selected.
- Only one entry per household.
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
SPAM® Potato Skins
- 200 g SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham - 1 small can
- 3 medium to large baking potatoes
- 1 large shallot
- 50 g spinach
- 150 ml sour cream - 1 small pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25 g grated mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan.
- Use a fork to pierce a few holes in each potato. Bake the potatoes for around an hour until they feel soft when pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the filling. Finely chop the shallot and cut the SPAM® into small cubes (about ½cm wide).
- Heat a frying pan over a medium/high heat and once hot add the SPAM® cubes. Fry them for 4-5 minutes, moving them around so that they brown evenly. Remove them from the pan and set aside to use later.
- Turn down the heat under the pan a little and add the chopped shallot, fry for a minute and then add the spinach. Fry for a couple more minutes until the spinach has wilted, keeping the shallots and spinach moving to prevent them from burning.
- Once the potatoes are soft in the centre remove them from the oven. Carefully (as they're really hot) cut them in half and scrape out the insides, leaving a thin layer of potato on each skin.
- Brush the potato skins with olive oil and return them to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the scooped out potato and mix in the sour cream, spinach and shallot.
- Once the potato skins have been in the oven for 5 minutes, remove them and then fill each one with the potato/sour cream/spinach/shallot mixture. Top each one with the cubes of SPAM® and then sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese.
- Return the potato skins to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve - I served mine with an extra drizzle of sour cream and sprinkled with finely chopped chives.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
The 200g tub of SPAM® is available from Sainsbury’s and the 200g and 340g cans are available from all major supermarkets. Visit the SPAM® website for more details or follow @OfficialSPAMUK on social media.
Photo courtesy of SPAM®
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.