Teriyaki chicken and rice bowl – a quick, simple and delicious mid-week dinner that’s packed full of flavour.
Way back in January when I shared my recipe for teriyaki sauce I talked about Jon’s liking for the Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Bowls in Itsu. Ever since I’ve been meaning to share my version of the dish and finally, here it is!
As you know, I’m a big fan of quick and easy mid-week dinners. I often end up cooking dinner twice as Jon gets in quite late from work so dinners have to be easy to ensure that the evening doesn’t disappear in two rounds of preparing, cooking and cleaning up. This is so quick and simple that it’s really not a hassle to cook a batch for me and the boys and then make a second batch for Jon when he gets in from work.
I choose not to give the boys the teriyaki sauce (as it’s quite high in salt and I’m not sure it would be their taste anyway) but as it’s added just before serving it’s easy to serve theirs and then add the sauce in for me.
I have to confess that I did cheat for these pictures and use a ready-made sauce as I found that mine melts into the food quite quickly whereas the shop brought one stayed all glistening on the surface which I wanted for the picture! However, I usually cook this using my homemade teriyaki sauce. I’d really recommend giving the homemade version a try as (in my opinion) it is so much better than the shop bought ones with a lovely kick of fresh ginger and a hint of sesame.
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
Teriyaki Chicken & Rice Bowl
- 2 chicken breasts - about 300g
- 1 large head broccoli - about 500g
- 4 handfuls frozen peas - about 100g
- 4 spring onions
- 300 g brown rice
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce - click for my recipe
- 2 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onions - chopped green ends
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add your rice (300g).
- If you're making your own teriyaki sauce then get it going now.
- While the rice (and sauce) are cooking, chop the broccoli into small florets, thinly slice the spring onions, and cut the chicken breast into thin strips.
- Heat the oil (2 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil) in a large saucepan or wok. Once the oil is hot add the chicken, broccoli, spring onions and 100g frozen peas. Toss the ingredients in the oil and fry for about 5-6 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Toss the food once every 30 seconds or so as it cooks (you want to keep it moving to stop it burning but don't want to move it constantly to allow the edges to char slightly and add a lovely extra flavour to the dish).
- Turn off the heat from the chicken and broccoli, drain the rice and add it to the frying pan/wok. Add the teriyaki sauce (4 tbsp/1 batch of homemade) and toss everything together to get it all coated in the sauce (alternatively if you want it to look a little smarter, put the rice in the bowl, top with the chicken & broccoli, then drizzle the teriyaki sauce over the top).
- Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and the chopped green ends of the spring onion.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
Free From/Suitable For…
Can be made gluten-free by switching the soy sauce for tamari in the teriyaki sauce
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.