A complete roast dinner with only 10 minutes of preparation, ready in under an hour and using just one tray (so hardly any washing up). Chicken wrapped in parma ham with potatoes, parsnips, carrots, peas and even the gravy!
I said last week that I don’t remember much of the food from my childhood and as I came to write this post I realised that that’s not strictly true. I don’t remember all that much about what we ate during the week but I do remember always having a roast on Sunday lunchtimes, and then a lovely Sunday tea in the evening with sandwiches and treats like fondant fancies and coconut macaroons.
I always enjoyed my Sunday roasts as a child and it’s something I love making for my family. However, I’ve come to realise that sometimes life gets in the way a bit and I don’t always have time to head off and spend a couple of hours in the kitchen getting it all ready (OK I’m not actually doing things for the entire 2 hours, but I do have to keep popping in and out to roast, boil, baste, mix, etc… and then wash up the hundreds of dishes and spoons I seem to use in the process).
I realised that I needed something like a Sunday roast but with a lot less effort and so I created this Sunday roast traybake – Chicken (breast so it’s quick to cook) with potatoes, parsnips, carrots, peas and even the gravy all in one tray.
It only takes 10 minutes of actual effort and it’s ready in under an hour. The absolute best bit is that it’s all made in just one tray so there’s no need to spend ages cleaning up afterwards. The only thing that’s missing is the Yorkshire puddings (sadly there’s just no way to get those into the one tray along with everything else!).
Easy One-Tray Roast Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices parma ham - optional
- 600 g new potatoes
- 4 large carrots - about 600g
- 4 medium-large parsnips - about 600g
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 200 g frozen peas - about 4 handfuls
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300 ml hot chicken stock - or 300ml hot water + 1½ chicken sock cubes
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan.
- Wrap the chicken in parma ham and place on to a large baking tray.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips, and chop the carrots, parsnips and new potatoes into bite sized pieces. Add them to the baking tray ensuring they’re in a single layer. Lay the thyme on top and season with salt.
- In a cup or small bowl mix the brown sugar (1 tbsp), apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp) and olive oil (3 tbsp). Spoon the mixture over the chicken and vegetables ensuring they are all coated.
- Place the tray into the oven and cook for 20 minutes. You need to ensure that everything is in a single layer in your baking tray otherwise it will not cook properly. If your baking tray isn’t large enough, split the ingredients between two trays.
- Turn the vegetables, baste the chicken with the sauce and return the tray to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and chicken stock, ensuring the peas are covered in the stock to help them cook evenly, and return the tray to the oven for a final 10 minutes.
More low-effort dinner inspiration…
For another delicious low-effort Sunday lunch you could try these STEAK & MUSHROOM PIES which need less that 10 minutes of your time in the kitchen, or for something a little different how about these BRUNCH POTATOES topped with a fried egg or this BAKED CHORIZO AND ASPARAGUS RISOTTO.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Tree Nut-Free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free
This recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free stock.