Green Beans, Peas and Parma Ham – A delicious summer side dish. Simple to make and ready in just 10 minutes.
As I mentioned in my recent recipe for roasted new potatoes with rosemary and garlic, I believe that some foods suit the summer and some are more wintery. This is definitely something I would classify as a summer side dish. Perfect alongside a grilled chicken breast, those new potatoes I mentioned before and a chilled glass of white wine in the garden.
Originally I didn’t make this with parma ham, but I had some left over in the fridge and thought I’d use it up. I don’t know about you but I find that anything bacon-ish is a pretty magic ingredient, almost like an extra yummy seasoning. If you don’t have parma ham then bacon or pancetta would also work well.
Green Beans, Peas & Parma Ham - A Delicious Summer Side Dish
- Sharp knife and chopping board
- Large frying pan
- Teaspoon, tablespoon and weighing scales - if you want to be accurate with your measurements but there's really no need as long as you're roughly right.
- 200 g fine beans
- 200 g frozen peas
- 50 g black olives - about 2 tablespoons
- 2 slices parma ham
- 2 tips good quality tomato puree - I use Cirio
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil.
- Trim the ends from the fine beans (200g) and the chop them in half.
- Put the fine beans and peas (200g) into the boiling water and cook for roughly 6 minutes until soft but still with some bite.
- While the beans and peas are cooking, thinly slice the black olives (50g) and roughly chop the parma ham (2 slices).
- Once the beans and peas are cooked, drain and then set aside.
- Heat the olive oil (1 tsp) in a large frying pan, add the parma ham and fry for about a minute. Add the green beans, peas, olives and tomato puree (2 tbsp). Stir it all until throughly mixed.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
The ingredients for this recipe are commonly available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.