Crisp filo pastry parcels with a spiced lamb, feta and spinach filling served with a mint yogurt dip.
As promised, I’m back with my second festive recipe as part of my collaboration with Tasty Easy Lamb – Lamb & Feta Filo Parcels. They’re made from crisp filo pastry with a spiced lamb, feta cheese and spinach filling, and I serve them with a delicious mint yogurt dip.
They’re perfect for a buffet or to serve up as a snack while your guests are waiting for their dinner. They’re delicious served hot or cold, whilst they can be made in advance and cooked when you need them so freeing you up to enjoy yourself with your guests over Christmas.
If you love the sound of these flavours, but you’re not planning on serving up any party food, then you can easily tweak this recipe to serve them up as part of a meal. Simply cut bigger squares and use them to line a muffin tin. Fill each hole in the tin and fold over the edges to make a bigger parcel. Cook them as per the recipe below and then serve them with some potatoes and a greek salad.
Lamb & Feta Filo Parcels with Mint Yogurt Dip
- 100 g fresh spinach
- 250 g lamb mince
- 30 g feta cheese
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 150 g filo pastry - 6-7 sheets
- 1-2 tbsp butter
For the mint yogurt dip
- 200 g greek style yogurt - you can use the low fat version if you prefer
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the lamb mince (250g), spinach (100g), ground cumin (½ tsp) and ground coriander (¼ tsp) and cook until the lamb is cooked through and the spinach has wilted. Break up the lamb as it cooks.
- Remove the lamb and spinach from the heat and place it in a large bowl. Crumble in the feta cheese (30g) and season with salt and mix well.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- Cut the filo pastry into squares approx. 9cmx9cm (I cut each sheet of the filo pastry I used into 12 pieces).
- Melt the butter (1-2 tbsp). Brush a square of filo pastry with butter, add another square and brush with more butter. Add a final square and then brush with butter around the edges. Place a heaped teaspoon of the lamb mixture into the middle and bring the corners together to make a parcel. Pinch the top together to help it hold its shape.
- Repeat until you have used all of your filling (approx. 25 parcels).
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and place the parcels onto the tray. Bake for 15 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown in colour.
- While the parcels are cooking make the mint yogurt dip. Start by putting the greek yogurt (200g) in a bowl. Remove the mint leaves from their stalks and finely chop the leaves. Mix these into the yogurt along with the paprika (¼ tsp) and some salt (add a little, have a taste and then add more if needed).
- Once the lamb filo parcels are cooked, remove them from the oven and either serve them immediately as a hot snack, or leave them to cool and serve them cold (they’re great either way!).