In need of a quick, healthy evening meal? This chicken chow mein recipe is ready in under 25 minutes and is below 500 calories per serving. It also has just under two of your five-a-day fruit and vegetables, so it’s packed full of goodness.
My healthy alternative to Chinese takeaway
Whenever I start thinking about cooking something new, I think about all of my family’s favourite foods and work out which ones I haven’t cooked before. Then I start experimenting.
When we order Chinese takeaway my husband will always, always order a chicken chow mein, so this seemed like an obvious choice to create a recipe for.
I wanted to create something that would be similar in taste to a takeaway chicken chow mein (well actually more yummy as it turns out) but to know what was going in it, keeping it low in calories and packed full of vegetables. This chow mein recipe has red pepper, carrots and spring onions which not only really add to the flavour, but also add colour too. This makes it look, as well as taste, delicious.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Join the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to hear about new recipes first.
Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
- 100 g dried medium egg noodles
- 1 large chicken breast - approx. 200g
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 spring onions
- 1 medium carrot - approx. 60g
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dry sherry or shaoxing rice wine
- salt and pepper
For the marinade
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dry sherry or shaoxing rice wine
- salt and pepper
Marinate the chicken - this can be done immediately before cooking or several hours in advance
- Prepare the marinade by mixing 1tsp sherry/rice wine, 1 tsp light soy sauce, ½ tsp toasted sesame oil, ¼ tsp pepper and salt
- Chop the chicken breast into thin strips and mix thoroughly with the marinade - ensure that the chicken is cut to a uniform thickness, otherwise thinner pieces will dry out during cooking.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Cook the noodles
- Bring a pan of water to the boil
- Add the noodles and cook according to the packet instructions (approx 5 minutes) - leave the noodles al dente as they will be cooked further later
- Once cooked, drain immediately and cool quickly with cold water to prevent them cooking further
While the noodles are cooking, chop the vegetables
- Chop the red pepper into thin strips
- Peel the carrot and chop into matchsticks
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger
- Thinly slice the spring onion - set aside the green ends to use as a garnish
Cook the stir fry
- Heat 1 tsp sunflower oil in a wok
- Once hot, add the marinated chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes until browned on the outside but not cooked through
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside
- Add the remaining sunflower oil (1 tsp) and once heated add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds
- Add the cooked noodles, carrots, peppers, spring onions, light soy sauce (2 tsp), dark soy sauce (2 tsp), sherry/rice wine (2 tsp) and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the wok and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the chicken is cooked - don't over cook the chicken as it will go dry
- Mix through 1 tsp toasted sesame oil.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with the green ends of the spring onion
More heathy dinner inspiration…
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Tree Nut-Free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free