How to make delicious cream cheese buttercream perfect for decorating carrot cakes and red velvet cakes.
This also means that it freezes brilliantly and it just as perfect for piping after it’s defrosted than on the day it was made. I’ve also tried freezing the cupcakes after they’ve been decorated and this also works well.
Subscribe to the Charlotte's Lively Kitchen mailing list to get your FREE printable grams to cups and cups to grams conversion charts for twelve popular baking ingredients
Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 125 g butter - soft at room temperature
- 125 g icing sugar
- 250 g cream cheese
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- A little milk - This may be needed to ensure the buttercream is the right consistency
- Cut the butter (125g) into cubes and beat (either by hand or using a mixer on a slow speed ) until soft.
- Sift the icing sugar (125g) and beat it into the butter until fully combined and smooth.
- Add the cream cheese (250g) and vanilla extract (¼ tsp) and beat until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Check the consistency of your buttercream. It should be firm, but soft enough to pipe. If it is too firm, then beat in a little milk (no more than a teaspoon at a time) until you have the right consistency.
- Your buttercream is now ready to use.
Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated.
Can you freeze cream cheese buttercream?
❄️ Suitable for freezing
Absolutely yes! This buttercream freezes extremely well and once defrosted is as smooth and perfect for piping as when it was first made.
To freeze the buttercream, simply put it into an airtight bag and pop it into the freezer. Allow it to defrost thoroughly in the fridge before using.
It should be fine in the freezer for up to three months.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Tree Nut-Free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free