Try a twist on traditional American Pancakes by adding lemon zest and juicy raisins – Delicious.
It’s Shrove Tuesday (or Pancake Day as I prefer to call it) on the 17th February so I’m busy busy busy pulling together recipes for some of my favourite pancakes (including traditional pancakes), one of which is these Lemon and Raisin Pancakes.
Unfortunately this means that my mission to build my repertoire of healthy breakfast recipes has stalled after the banana and almond breakfast smoothie, but I’ll be back on it again soon, I promise.
Before I started cooking more I used to buy lemon and raisin pancakes ready-made from the supermarket and heat them up under the grill! Fortunately I’ve figured out how to make my own now, and I think these taste more delicious.
The recipe is really simple, adapted from my Quick, Easy and Really Delicious American Pancake recipe. All you have to do it is add lemon zest to the batter, and add raisins during cooking. You’ll have a whole stack of pancakes in no time (although I may have gotten a little carried away with mine!)
Lemon and Raisin Pancakes
- 200 g Self Raising Flour
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 250 ml Milk - I use skimmed but any is fine
- 2 Eggs
- Zest of 2-4 lemons - I like my pancakes quite lemony so use 4, but you can use less if you prefer a subtler flavour
- 120 g Raisins
- Sift the self raising flour (200g) into a large bowl
- Add the caster sugar (50g)
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs (2 eggs)
- Add the eggs and milk (250ml) into the flour and sugar and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Zest the lemons (2-4 depending on taste) and whisk the zest into the batter.
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium heat and add the pancake mix.
- Sprinkle a few raisins onto each pancake (I use about 10 per pancake).
- Cook until bubbles are starting to form on the top and then flip and cook for another minute until the pancakes are golden brown.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Tree Nut-Free
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free