Vegan vanilla buttercream that is simple to make and tastes absolutely delicious.
A couple of weeks ago I shared my recipe for vegan vanilla cupcakes. At the time I promised I would also share my vegan vanilla buttercream to top them with, so here it is!
This buttercream is perfectly smooth and really easy to make. It follows a very similar recipe to my original vanilla buttercream with the butter simply being replaced with a dairy-free alternative (I use a combination of soft margarine and baking block). When I make buttercream I also tend to use a little milk to help get the consistency just right for piping. For this buttercream I’ve used almond milk as a replacement, but you could also use any other dairy-free milk if you need to avoid nuts too.
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream
- 125 g dairy-free margarine - I use Pure Sunflower
- 125 g baking block - I use Stork - soft at room temperature
- 500 g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Approx. 1 tbsp dairy-free milk - I use almond milk
- Cut the baking block (125g) into cubes (about 1″). Put into a bowl with the dairy-free margarine (125g) and beat until soft (either by hand or with an electric mixer on a low speed).
- Sift the icing sugar (500g) and then beat it into the margarine/baking block – I prefer to add the sugar a couple of spoonfuls at a time as this makes it easier to combine and minimises the amount of sugar that flies out all over the kitchen.
- Add the vanilla extract (½ tsp) and mix until fully combined.
- You want your icing to be a spreadable consistency (take a look at my recipe for vanilla buttercream for more about this). If it's a little too stiff then add the dairy-free milk (no more than ½tsp at a time) until it is your desired consistency. Beat in each addition of dairy-free milk fully before adding more.
- Now your buttercream is ready to use.
Free From/Suitable For…
The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time.
- Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
- Tree Nut-Free (avoid using almond milk to get the buttercream to the right consistency)
- Sulphur Dioxide & Sulphite-Free