Incredibly simple 3-ingredient Nutella cupcakes topped with delicious Nutella buttercream.
Following on from my Nutella buttercream a few days ago, here’s my recipe for those Nutella cupcakes that the buttercream was piped all over the top of.
This recipe is born out of the fact that I can’t resist a bit of a recipe challenge. A couple of month’s ago was world Nutella day and Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker shared her recipe for 3-ingredient Nutella brownies in my Food Year Linkup. The idea behind the brownies is that due to the fat and sugar content of Nutella it could be used as a substitute for both the butter and sugar in the brownie recipe. It got me wondering whether the same principle would hold true for cupcakes too.
As with many of my ideas it got popped on the back-burner while I got sidetracked by other things, and then a month or so ago I decided to have a go and see what I could make. It took a few attempts to get the ratio of ingredients right (I couldn’t simply substitute the weight of Nutella for the weight of butter and sugar in my cupcake recipe as the fat content wasn’t high enough leading to the cupcakes being too dry). After a bit of playing around and lots of tasting (it’s a tough job you know!), I found just the right combination.
If you’re a novice in the kitchen, then this is definitely the recipe for you. Simply weigh the three ingredients, mix them together, spoon the mixture into cupcake cases and bake. Even my 3-year old could do it (although he’s more interesting in eating the cakes than making them!).
- 3 large eggs
- 375 g Nutella
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 12 cupcake cases
- Pre-heat your oven to 160ºC/140ºC fan.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Put all of your ingredients into a large bowl (3 large eggs, 375g Nutella, 150g self-raising flour) and mix until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases (about 60g in each if you feel like measuring).
- Pop them into the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Check if they’re done by inserting a skewer, if it comes out clean they’re done, if not pop them back in for a couple more minutes.
- Once cooked, take them out of the tray and pop them onto a wire rack to cool.
Free From/Suitable For…
- Suitable for Vegetarians
The ingredients for this recipe are commonly available free from all these allergens. However, please ensure you double-check allergen information for all ingredients.